Wednesday, December 12, 2007

VINTAGE SEWING FOR XMAS

In searching for vintage patterns, there is nothing
like the thrill of finding a Christmas gift booklet. I love
these for their novel gift ideas, plus the fantastic Santa
graphics/pictures are an added bonus!


These particular booklets are supplements to the
Australian Home Journal and probably date around
1930's and 1940's.


I know there are many of you who love vintage textiles and
I would like to treat you to some of the vintage
patterns found in these booklets.



For those who love vintage aprons, this one has an
Australian Native Rose embroidery detail.




For the knitters.



For the embroiderers.


For those who love dolls and tea cosies.



As is usual with a lot of the sewing patterns
in the earlier books, booklets, and magazines,
you had to send for the pattern. It is the case
for this cute Koala holding sewing accessories. I am
sure that this wouldn't stop a lot of you clever crafters
from making your own little version!

Happy crafting!

The sewing poll.
Thankyou to those who voted.
As with a lot of vintage textiles, some may be too fragile to
display permantly. A lot of care is needed for most and
keeping them clean is important. Some may be able to
have them on display and protected from dust in glass
cabinets. Sunlight should also be taken into consideration.
Some items can still be used as with embroidered or
crocheted doilies, quilts, tablecloths, aprons, etc.
So in all it is really up to the collectors!

********************

5 comments:

Cathy said...

Thank you Marian! They are all absolutely awesome!

Cathy :)

jane said...

Hey - Just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten you. I have a Lipton Tea needle book somewhere and I am going to send that to you with the tape measure. I just have to find it!
Merry Christmas! Jane

Anonymous said...

I went back and found all your vintage needle cards...outstanding. If those are all yours...you have a nice collection. The vintage sewing was very interesting too...love your site. I have featured you as "creative site of the day" on my website. Check this out: www.joyfulploys.piczo.com

crazyhaberdasher said...

Thankyou so much Mary, I am so glad that you are enjoying my blog, and thankyou for making it a feature on your website!

pueppilottchens-spielzeug-blog said...

awww - these things are all soooo cute!! thank you so much for showing them!!

merry cristmas from germany, yours nicola