Monday, January 21, 2008

Old Photos

These photos were purchased at
an antique shop a little while back.
I love them for the wonderful
styles of dresses that the young
ladies wear.
I often think that I should have
been born a century earlier!
I wonder whether they would have
worked on the making of the dresses
themselves, possibly a loving
Mother, or a dear Aunt, or maybe
a dressmaker.
Was there lots of hand-stitching, or lots
of machine stitching on a treadle
or a handcrank sewing machine? -
handmade laces, silk ribbons, buttons
and expensive trims?
Did they have the latest catalog/ue or
pattern book?
What colours or fabrics did they use?
I hope you enjoy this little look.

Sisters?



Above - March 1890


3 comments:

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Lovely! Can you imagine having to dress like that? grr.

SweetAnnee said...

Gorgeous..oh I would love to go hunting for
goodes with you!!


deena

crazyhaberdasher / knittingbee said...

Hi Deena! Thankyou! There will be more treasure hunting at Fryerstown this coming weekend, you are Welcome to come browse with me!