Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Can't See the Forest for the .....BEARS!

BLACK FOREST BEARS

I love bears, well, the small wooden type that function as a sewing accessory.
"Black forest bears" has become the common term for these carved wooden bears, although they did not originate from the Black Forest, Germany. Carved bears were first produced in Brienz, Switzerland, as well as other animals, birds, and human form sculptures. Furniture, clocks, umbrella stands, sewing aids, barometers, chess sets, wall plaques/mirrors, ornaments, (the list goes on....), were made and they now command very high prices at auctions.

I cherish my little group here. There are originals, imitations, and a reproduction, but I still love them all. Three of them were designed for another function, but I have changed their chore to suit me. I know it isn't correct by a collector's standard, but I am happy to state that fact and go with it. I also need to do more research on these guys as to where they came from and even what type of wood is used. Oh, and the one on his back is holding two spools of cotton. You can click on the picture to enlarge it.
For those of you who would like to know more about the history, and the artists and their work in Brienz, here is a very interesting book - Swiss Carvings The Art of the 'Black Forest' 1820 - 1940.


Please stay tuned for my next post on needlebooks!

No comments: